Sunday, May 22, 2011

About Me.. well, about my blog

Beginning this blog is like starting college all over again. I feel exactly like a freshman walking into chaos but instead of searching for the perfect major, classes and textbooks I find myself searching for my own personal interests. You would think that being 20 years old, engaged and about to graduate college I would have a good handle on where to locate these interests but I have done more flip-flopping on the topic of this blog than a Floridian in the summer. 

It began as a cooking blog, which given my history in that area would have been a complete disaster. To give you a taste of my cooking expertise I once subconsciously decided that water was not a key ingredient to the ramen noodle-making process. The smell was epic and the bowl was destroyed, I am mostly just thankful that my dad was nearby to catch my mistake before it turned into a blazing failure. 

I then had the remarkably daft idea to blog about knitting. Knitting. If you've ever tried knitting then you understand my apprehension, if you haven't, you don't want to. I feel like I would be more successful tying the yarn in knots with my toes, blindfolded, upside down and unconscious, and yes, the redundancy is intentional. 

So I  reconsidered my blogging strategy, trading temporary hobbies for more long time interests and so I decided to blog on my chosen career: education. I live in Florida and I want to be a public high school teacher. I am probably sentencing myself to a life of mayhem at the hands of - confused - politicians. I say this politely because while this blog is understandably anonymous, I know that once something goes out into the internet you can never really take it back. It is this feeling of frustration that will drive my blog. 
This will be a learning experience for me in a lot of ways, the first being blogging. I have kept a journal about thirty times in my life and none of them have lasted more than two weeks and honestly most of that was… we'll call it creative musing. Writing about something I am passionate about consistently and in complete sentences will be challenging, as will be holding my tongue when faced with someone who is of the opinion that teachers really don't deserve to get paid year-round. I also hope to broaden my horizons in this area of exploration, there are a lot of issues bouncing around the house in Florida when it comes to education and I hope that by the time I graduate I will at the very least understand them.

3 comments:

  1. Here!Here!Fellow prisoner of the educational debate going on. I am completely looking forward to reading this blog and cannot wait to see what you put up since I too want to know where my fate will lie in this magical realm of education and legislation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me laughing throughout your blog; great sense of humor. Also, I appreciate how honest you are about the blog and your confusion with beginning it, it makes you appear very "approachable". Your writing is very eloquent and easy to read quickly. Great job Pseudo Pen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that calculating class size by individual classes is ludicrous. Chances are, calculating by the school would make much more sense. Also, I think the system should seek to provide funds to the schools unable to make requirements, rather than assessing penalties.

    ReplyDelete