Sunday, June 5, 2011

Apology Dejected

I've spent a few days mulling over my previous post about how and why I decided to become a teacher and I am becoming more and more convinced that I have made a horrible mistake. So I would like to apologize in advance to my children and my future husband. From before the beginning of my first year of teaching they will become my unwilling guinea pigs and my moving assistants. They will be roped into moving desks and decorating classrooms, sharing their mother with hundreds of other children and spending an absurd amount of time with me during the summer. They will also likely spend those summers assisting me in the development of my tests and their weeknights grading papers. They will have to quickly come to terms with my habit of using classroom management strategies to handle family arguments, which may or may not lead to me developing a bathroom pass system to hunt down the member responsible for leaving the toilet seat up. 
gonzalolira.blogspot.com

And it will be a stressful time in our family when FCAT rolls around and my children have to go shopping for wigs with me, as I will likely have pulled out all of my hair. I haven't even graduated or thought of children yet and I already feel the need to begin sending apologies to my un-conceived fetuses. I am sure I will drag home germs and stories of awful children whose parents were less than invested and take out my frustrations on my children by trying to make them everything my students are not. I will need to apologize for seeking reports of their behavior from my teacher friends and motoring their grades like they're valuable stocks. I'll be able to stalk them in the hallway and practice my lesson plans on them at home. We can play all of my clever jeopardy test reviews at home during family game night, to make sure they're in proper working order and eat lunch together in the cafeteria. My husband can practice Shakespeare with me while the children do their homework and help me develop discussion questions during Monday Night Football. There are so many possibilities and opportunities for family/career crossover! So maybe they won't always fully appreciate tripping over term papers stacked by the door or my constant correction of their grammar, but I think I've really got something. I thought this was a horrible mistake but on second thought, I think I've stumbled on the perfect career for a family woman, even if its not so perfect for the woman's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment