Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pointing to the Problem

This blog originally started as a place to address problems in the school system in Florida, but this particular post is going to be much more broad in it's scope. I read an article this week about public school education in America, and it wasn't a glowing review. It ripped everything from the funding to the teachers, unions were targeted and so were government policies. Everything was fair game. But there was nothing fair about the way it pointed fingers. In my personal opinion, the problem with our education system is that no one knows what the problem is! Everyone has their opinion and everyone loves to conduct research but what  purpose does it really serve? With all of the 'too much funding/lack of funding' arguments and nail biting decisions about how many teachers we need, no one really looks at what is wrong. We look at Europe and see that we are falling behind but everyone is so busy accusing others of failing that the problem never gets solved. 

There are so many weak links in this chain. Teachers, for example, aren't as highly trained as they could be, likely do to low standards and high college tuition costs. Students are also not spending as much time studying as they could, again due to low standards, mediocre teachers, lack of school choice and a host of other problems. The government monopoly on schools is also a problem. They control what and how our students learn, but who is to say that they are the experts? Most of the people making decisions have never taught a day in their lives and likely attended private school, which is not government run. Parents also present a problem. They don't spend time teaching their children morals, which then need to be covered in schools, which they complain about and blame the teachers for their children's shortcomings. If a student rips off his shirt in class and dances around I would be more likely to blame his parents than his teacher. Parents also have no choice as to which public school their child attends, which circles back to the monopoly issue.
My point is, there is no one solution to our problem. There is a series of issues that are keeping everyone tied up in a vicious cycle of failure and finger pointing. I am not saying that I have all the answers, but I would very much appreciate it if everyone would just take a look at what they could do better, rather than what someone else is not doing for them.qwerki-tm.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. Hey PseudoPen,
    But finger pointing is SO easy. I mean all you have to do is sit back and the burden of failure is lifted off your shoulders. It’s the best! lol
    Anywho, I agree with your post. There are many issues in America’s education system that I sometimes feel discouraged about becoming a teacher. In your first paragraph, you state, “In my personal opinion, the problem with our education system is that no one knows what the problem is!” and I see where you are going. I mean, we have men and women creating our government education policies, and they haven’t been in a single classroom (exaggerated statement, but not far from the truth). Clearly, we don’t know what the problem is, and we are randomly shooting in the dark hoping to hit something, but I have a question. If there were one thing you could change to make America’s education system better, what do you think it would it be and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @A.Athas, first of all, thanks for the comment. And second, that is a GREAT question. I have been pondering this exact question for weeks. So far, my best two ideas are to add more educational experience to those government officials' resumes who are creating these educational decisions and to eliminate government control by privatizing schools. Both of these seem to show that I think the problem lies in the government, but that isn't necessarily true. I think the problem is everywhere and creating a competitive environment with private schools could foster a more creative and productive educational environment, but I just don't know. How about you, what would you change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It truly is disappointing that all everyone ever wants to do is play the blame game when it comes to what is wrong with the American educational institution. It's really ridiculous that we simply can't agree to disagree and find a resolution that will benefit the students, because when it boils down to it the students are what are important and to the constant bickering only hurts them which in turn hurts us all in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! There are so many things that I want to comment on for this post.

    First, I agree with Athas, I think saying that the problem is that nobody knows what the problem is. I think that our school system is so broken in so many different ways, but it is so hard to pinpoint what exactly needs to be fixed and in what way.

    I also agree that too many politicians are making decisions about classrooms that they do not work in. If you want to know what works best in classrooms...ask a teacher! That's what makes sense..but when has our government ever made sense?

    Finally, I've been thinking a lot about how teachers aren't as highly trained as they could be. I am constantly debating on whether or not an English teacher should be an education major or an English major. I think that my education classes are amazing and extremely valuable, but I sometimes worry that I am not learning enough about the English language. I then think that English majors don't know enough about classroom management/assessment to properly teach. I think that our education should be broader and include more of both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Laurelle,
    Thanks for agreeing with me Laurelle about nobody knowing what the problem is. However, this comment is direct at your last paragraph. But before I state my comment I have to propose a question: Have you ever been an English Major? Because when I started out at my university, I was originally an English Major. I almost graduated with an English Degree; however, I switched to English Education, because of my lack of knowledge about teaching. I think English teachers should be English Education majors, or at least at first. I think knowing how to teach should come first, and then a strong foundational knowledge of the content. The reason why is due to the ability to obtain an understanding of English Literature on one’s own. In my opinion, I would find it easier to learn about English on my own than learning various pedagogical methods on how to reach my students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @PseduoPen,
    First, I have to apologize for such a late response. To begin, that is a very interesting answer to my question. I have to agree with you. I think the policy makers making educational decisions need an educational background, without one, 3rd parties might influence them with a more economic interest instead of an educational one.
    I have to say privatizing schools is an option I haven’t pondered. I mean the only downside to creating a competitive environment with private schools, which I see, is the refusal of diverse students into the private school. I would assume if schools became private, then they would have the right to reject whomever did not meet school entry standards, which would include special needs students, ELLs, and other diverse students. No?

    ReplyDelete