Friday, June 17, 2011

This is the End

I have come to the conclusion that it is now time to lay this blog to rest. I have not run out of potential topics, nor out of passion for the subject, but I think it is already time to move on. I spend my time on this blog reading articles and posting personal opinions and I feel it is time to do more. Instead of posting my opinions I will now dedicate my time to doing actual research into these problems and thinking of a way to fix them.
At the end of my previous blog I hit a brick wall. As I looked above my last sentence to my comment about everyone blaming someone else, I realized I was doing the same thing. I will be a teacher soon. I will be influencing our future through the young and moldable minds of our high school students and my time could definitely be spent in a more productive manner. As a teacher it is most certainly my responsibility to address these issues, and I feel like now is the time to start. I feel that this blog has accomplished what I set out for it to accomplish, but it is time o move on.
So I leave you now, with a question and a quote.
I began this blog, not to educate you about these issues, I am not expert, but to share my passion for the resolution of these issues with you. I do not expect you to go out and solve these problems on your own, I don't even expect to do that myself. But I encourage you, as well as myself, to not abandon these problems as someone else's shortcoming or mistakes but as a national problem that effects everyone. And I ask you to continue your search for a solution, in any way you can. Be it through your local school, your voting rights, your voice or your children. If we all stop waiting for someone else to solve the problem then maybe we can make a difference.

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

2 comments:

  1. I love your ending quote! I definitely thinks it goes with John Deweys and Socarte's way of thinking. Not to fill students up with facts and expect them to regurgitate the information, but to have them learn as active participants in their surroundings, so as to raise their own questions and build their own conclusions.

    The fight for education surely is not over, but bringing to light the issues our education system is facing will only help to make more people aware to change to outcome of our children's future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ending quote is wonderful and so very true! To me lighting a fire in students is essential to keeping them interested in learning. Although teachers are not the only ones who need to be motivating students to learn, they play an essential role. Leaving your blog to personally research the many issues that go on in education is admirable and I hope that you can find the answers that you need in order to be successful in a profession that is constantly facing new challenges.

    ReplyDelete